Lots of people have been asking about using their Thermomix to make cauliflower mash – a healthy, low-carb alternative to mashed potato. It makes me think `Is there any other way?’ Of course there is (we wrote a post about this in an earlier post) but I use my Thermie for just about everything.
So here we have some instructions for making the cauliflower mash in the Thermomix….and a few nice flavour variations.
- Cauliflower – use a bit more than you would if you were serving it in florets. I usually just do a whole cauliflower as the left overs are handy. Break it into pieces.
- Butter – about 2 – 4 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper
- Put the cauliflower into the Varoma and steam at Varoma temp for approx. 25 minutes. The cauliflower needs to be cooked through and soft.
- Empty the water from the bowl of the Thermomix and put the butterfly in place.
- Put the cauliflower in bowl and mix on speed 4 for 30 seconds
- Add butter, salt and pepper, and mix on speed 4 for 30 seconds – or until smooth and creamy.
Note: do NOT add milk or other liquid to this mix. It may be tempting because that’s what you would do with potato mash. Cauliflower already has enough liquid and adding more would make it sloppy.
Garlic – add a clove of crushed garlic to the cooked cauliflower in the bowl before mixing
Parsley – add some chopped parsley to the bowl for the last few seconds of mixing
Cheese – add a handful of grated cheese to the bowl for the last few seconds of mixing
Smoked paprika – add ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika in the last few seconds of mixing
You can serve cauliflower mash exactly as you would mashed potato, knowing that it’s a great low-carb alternative – even for a shepherd’s pie. And the Thermomix takes care of all the hard work!!