We all know bacon is delicious and it makes other things delicious. That’s just a fact of the paleo lifestyle right??!! This is another one of those fantastic, bacon wrapped, delicious foods.
Last year we planted a couple of jalapeno chilli plants, not really expecting, or getting, a big harvest. But this year they have begun to produce heaps of these hot, green chillis. So of course, that meant finding a way to prepare and eat them. I’ve played with this recipe until I found one that we, and our friends, really like.
Stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon
- 10 jalapeno chillis
- 400 grams quality minced beef
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 level teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 20 x 10 cm (4 inch) strips of Bacon
- Cut each chilli in halves lengthwise – leave the stem on one side – scoop out the seeds
- Prepare meat mixture – combine meat, salt, cumin, and coriander and mix through
- `Stuff’ each chilli half with about a dessertspoon full of the meat mixture. Make it enough to fill the chilli as well as have it rounded/heaped to about the original size of the chilli.
- Wrap a strip of bacon around the stuffed chilli half and hold in place with a toothpick.
- Arrange wrapped chillis on a baking tray. We put them on a silicone baking mat or a sheet of baking paper.
- Bake in 200°C (400°F) oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Stuff the jalapenos with haloumi cheese instead of meat. We just cut a chunk of haloumi big enough to `fit’ into the average size chilli. Haloumi has a great taste and retains it’s shaped when heated so is perfect for these.
- Other meats and seasonings could be used. The inspiration for this recipe came from a Mark’s Daily Apple original one with minced pork.
We love to serve these as part of a tapas style meal. However you could serve them on their own or with a sauce as an entree/starter. You could also serve them with a salad as a light, main course. They would probably be good cold as well, but there’s never been one get cold in our house!!
It’s time to stock up on the ingredients for this one and then enjoy all that bacon deliciousness.