Caesar Salad, one of those classic salads that really needs a good dressing. I’ve tried so many bought ones in the past, and never been quite satisfied. Recently I have been experimenting with a paleo version. There have been lots of failures – too much garlic, or an overwhelming taste of anchovy, or too thin, or just plain horrible. When I finally felt like I had the right ingredients it was a matter of trying varying amounts till it was right. This is the final product.
- 2 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup macadamia oil
- pinch of salt (I prefer Himalayan pink salt)
- pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
- Chop up the anchovy and garlic as finely as possible.
- Put all ingredients except oil into blender and whisk to mix.
- With the blender running, add the oil by slowly drizzling it (like making mayo). Continue to mix until it is the consistency of mayonnaise.
- Put anchovies and garlic in bowl – mix on speed 8 for 5 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl if necessary.
- Attach the butterfly to the blade.
- Add other ingredients except oil – mix on speed 4 for 10 seconds
- Turn speed on to speed 4, place MC in place and slowly drizzle oil into bowl. (It should take about 1-2 minutes.) Continue to mix until it is the consistency of mayonnaise.
We like macadamia oil, but you could use avocado, or a light olive oil, or even a mixture including coconut oil.
This recipe works best if all ingredients are at room temperature.
When purchasing anchovies, make sure they are not stored in canola or other vegetable oils.
This recipe makes enough dressing for four large serves.
Yum!!! This is a nice mix of flavours for the classic, paleo Caesar salad.