This is a great, grain free, gluten free recipe for young and old. You can make it up ahead of time and freeze or made up earlier on in the day for that nights dinner. Serve it in lettuce cups with all the trimmings. If you’re not dairy free, top it off with a bit of sour cream.
I also like to serve this up with spaghetti squash (Vegetable Spaghetti) and with a bit of sour cream.
Taco Mince (Serves 6)
2 quantities of Taco seasoning
2 tablespoons coconut oil
6 tablespoons bone broth (or other stock)
1 kg of beef mince
5-6 tablespoons of tomato paste
2 tablespoons of hot sauce
- Prepare the taco seasoning and set aside.
- Add the coconut oil to the fry pan. If using bone broth add 2 tablespoons to start with.
- Stir the tomato paste into the oil and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the mince and brown. Add the rest of the bone broth if you are just using that.
- Add the spices just before the mince is fully browned off.
- Stir through the hot sauce and taste. If required add more hot sauce.
- Simmer for a few 3-5 minutes.
Note: You may need a bit extra of the bone broth for desired consistency.
Verdict: This is a great recipe for the kids. You just have to watch the heat of the chilli. If there is any left over the kids love to have it in their school lunchbox with a little bit of sour cream on top.
Judith: I go the whole taco deal with this one…using iceberg lettuce leaves instead of taco shells. Include the usual taco toppings such as diced tomato, some finely chopped spring onion, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Delicious.
I like the guacamole to be as simple as a nice avocado mashed with some salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Those lovely bright red tomatoes that you see in the picture are a home-grown winter variety, picked fresh from our garden. We find it difficult to grow tomatoes here in the humid summer so we got seeds from the Burkes Backyard magazine in January and have had a steady stream of fresh tomatoes through the winter.
Of course, there is also the benefit of another quick and easy meal with no grains.