I found a piri piri chicken recipe in a magazine and just had to adapt it for Paleo eating. So here it is with all my changes. I have made it a few times now and I look forward to it being a standard favourite meal in our family.
Piri Piri Chicken
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil (melted)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2-3 tablespoons of hot sauce
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 chicken breasts (approx. 600gms)
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Place the garlic, paprika, oregano, lemon rind, vinegar and coconut oil, honey and hot sauce into a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Place each individual piece of chicken breast onto a large piece of foil (about the size of a baking tray.)
- Pour some of the sauce on the chicken and rub it in the underside as well. Try and keep as much on the top as possible for all round flavour.
- Put the chicken on top of the marinade then put some more marinade top of the chicken.
- Wrap the foil up so there are no air holes in it. Repeat for the rest of the chicken and place the ‘packets’ onto a baking tray.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes.
Notes: If you dont have enough lemon rind then substitute with lemon juice. If using lemon juice wait till it is at room temperature. Once the coconut oil hits the cold chicken the oil will go soild. It will go back to liquid again once in the oven.
Verdict: Everyone loved this and seconds were called for by kids and adults. I served it with sauted kale and sweet potato.
Happy healthy cooking, Sharon